I. Organizational Context
Under the direct guidance and supervision of the Administrative Officer, the incumbent will provide reliable and safe driving services to OCHA staff, and if so required to other UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion, integrity, and responsibility. The Driver must have excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues and a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact, and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
II. Key Functions / Responsibilities
- Provide reliable and safe driving by driving office vehicles for the transport of UN staff members, high-ranking officials, and official visitors, delivering and collecting mail, documents, and other items, contributing to smooth office functioning
- Liaise and coordinate with local authorities to facilitate the smooth running of vehicle movement in the designated area
- Keep abreast of developments in local security situations including security information that might have an impact on the movement
- Ensure cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to the preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely checks of oil, tire, brakes, vehicle cleaning, washing, etc.
- Ensure availability of all required documents/supplies for an assigned vehicle such as vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle
- Ensure that actions required by law as well as UN rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident
- Perform other related duties as required
IV. Results Expected
Safe and reliable transportation of OCHA staff and cost-effective operation of vehicles.
- Education: Secondary Education, driver’s license, knowledge of driving rules and regulations, and skills in minor vehicle repair
- Experience: Minimum two years’ work experience as a field driver in different regions of the country; safe driving record and operational /driving experience.
- Language Requirements: Amharic or knowledge of one of the local languages and satisfactory English language skills are required
- Grade: GS-2
- Corporate Competencies:
- Demonstrates commitment to OCHA’s mission, vision, and values.
- Displays integrity, professionalism, and respect for diversity.
- Excellent driving skills with a thorough knowledge of local road regulations and knowledge of basic vehicle maintenance
- Good knowledge of the region and condition of roads
- Understand OCHA values and ethics and demonstrate them in day-to-day activities
- Maintain confidentiality and security of information
- Organize and plan your own work routine
- Respond quickly to arising and foreseen requests
- Positive and constructive attitude with a client-oriented approach
- Show understanding of the questions and concerns of others.
- Communicate effectively with all individuals regardless of gender, national and cultural background
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment and respect diversity.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues
Duty Station: Awassa (SNNPR)
How to Apply
Closing date for Application: 11 September 2022
Interested applicants must submit their CVs, letter of motivation, and supporting documents via the email address: – [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted